International Research at UMBC


Guidelines & Agreements

The Office of Global Partnerships in the Center for Global Engagement maintains a campus-wide database with information about UMBC’s partnerships around the world. This database represents the international partners with whom UMBC has existing agreements for research, academic collaboration, student exchange, faculty/staff mobility, or other joint programs. We try to keep this database as complete as possible, but please keep in mind that it may not reflect all international work done at UMBC. If you don’t see your partnerships reflected please contact

The Center for Global Engagement (CGE) is available to help faculty, staff, and students interpret the International Travel Policy and Procedures, international agreement routing process, and offer resources related to international activities.

The agreements matrix is designed to assist stakeholders in determining which office(s) they should work with to draft binding or non-binding international agreements. An authorized university representative must sign all agreements (binding and non-binding).


International Research Policies & Training

UMBC’s Center for Global Engagement and Office of the Vice President for Research & Creative Achievement (ORCA) are committed to providing ongoing support for UMBC’s international relationships and advocating for international collaboration in research and creative achievement. Congress and federal agencies have become concerned with foreign influence in US higher education. The idea of foreign influence states that international institutions, individuals, and governments may use access to academic research as a way to compromise US national security or economic competitiveness. CGE has a list of resources to help UMBC community members understand and operate within this environment.

UMBC’s Office of Research & Creative Achievement provides detailed information on DUAs and common situations where DUAs arise.

The Office of Research Protections & Compliance (ORPC) provides detailed information on conflict of interest and conflict of commitment.

The Office of Technology Development (OTD) provides guidance and assistance with all phases of intellectual property protection and commercialization.

Detailed information about export control management and how it relates to academic research activities can be found on the Office of Research Protections & Compliance’s (ORPC) page.

The Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) and the Office of Research Protections & Compliance (ORPC) provide updated guidance on that which principal investigators (PIs) should disclose to federal sponsors about foreign collaborations.


International Visitors & Travelers

Hiring Short Term International Research Scholars

The Office of International Students & Scholars (OISS) provides assistance in obtaining appropriate visas for individuals who hold academic appointments from the Provost’s office. Individuals with visiting or short term appointments may be eligible for J-1 Exchange Visitor status.

Hiring International Employees

OISS also assists Departments or Offices who wish to hire an international individual and when an employer sponsorship is required. More details are provided on the OISS International Employees page.

Export Control Regulations, Visitors, and Restricted Party Screening

Whenever you intend to have an international visitor participate in your course, laboratory, research, training, or other activity please consult with the Office of Research & Protections Compliance (ORPC) to determine whether or not a Restricted Party Screening will be necessary.

High-level international delegations

The Center for Global Engagement’s Office of Global Partnerships can assist with hosting and coordinating international delegation visits meeting with UMBC senior leadership. This includes visits with foreign ministries, higher education leaders, government officials, or other diplomatic or educational representatives. Contact if you intend to host an international delegation.

Code of Ethics and Conduct

As members of the UMBC community, international scholars and students are required to adhere to UMBC’s Code of Ethics and Conduct.

When planning a trip abroad, travelers should be familiar with export controls and embargoes. Export control regulations may come into play depending on which items or information you will be taking with you, the nature of your activities while abroad, where you will be traveling, and with whom you will be doing business with. UMBC’s Office of Research & Creative Achievement (ORCA) provides guidance and assistance with export controls and embargoes related to international travel.

The Office of International Students & Scholars in UMBC’s Center for Global Engagement is dedicated to supporting international students and scholars through their expertise in immigration services, advising, and programming for the UMBC community.

UMBC welcomes delegations from international partners, government agencies, and universities from all over the world. Faculty and staff who receive inquiries about hosting international delegations should direct the requests to the Center for Global Engagement’s Office of Global Partnerships via email at

When planning to host a visiting international scholar departments and faculty should consult the Office of International Students & Scholars (OISS) in the Center for Global Engagement to ensure compliance with immigration and other policies.


UMBC Going Global

Research Institutes and Centers

UMBC is home to a variety of research institutes and campus centers. Many of these institutes are interdisciplinary in nature and draw in researchers from around the world to investigate topics that transcend national borders.


Global Engagement in the News

From UMBC News and Magazine